A substantial Old Rectory, dating to 1856
Excellent transport links
Fast commute to London
High ceilings and original fireplaces
Separate one bedroom annexe
Ample garaging & parking
Gardens with lovely rural views
4 excellent receptions rooms
Dating back to 1856, this substantial former Rectory displays original and interesting features throughout including high ceilings, fireplaces, gothic windows and oak flooring in the hall and drawing room. The main house offers just over 5,000 sq ft of elegant and flexible accommodation that is suitable for both family living and formal entertaining.
The ground floor is arranged to provide four generously proportioned reception rooms, with the drawing room and kitchen/breakfast room enjoying direct access to the south facing gardens. There is also a delightful courtyard area which can be accessed from the family room. Of particular note is the kitchen/breakfast room which is comprehensively fitted with base units, a four door Aga and a large central island with granite worktops, a sink and induction hob. An ornate gothic wooden staircase leads up to the bright and spacious landing where the three main bedrooms with en suite and bedroom 4, next to the family
bathroom can be found. A few steps lead down to the remaining bedrooms, one with en suite and one which could be used as a study.
There is a secondary staircase leading down to the rear hallway and access through to the courtyard area.
The Old Rectory lies on the outskirts of the village of Tidmarsh with its village green and The Greyhound public house. The attractive Thameside village of Pangbourne is about 1 mile away and has an excellent range of local facilities including an award winning butcher and an outstanding cheese shop and delicatessen, as well as a main line rail station serving London, Paddington within the hour.
Reading is the closest large town with a more comprehensive range of amenities, including rail links to London and the added draw of Crossrail in 2019. The M4 (J12) is about 4 miles away and its airports and the motorway network. Locally there is excellent schooling available, both State and Private, and the surrounding countryside is renowned for its picturesque beauty.
The Old Rectory sits well in its 1.4 acres of gardens, with the majority laid to south facing lawns at the back of the property. The house is approached through an electric 5 bar wooden gate on to a very large gravel driveway with ample parking to the front. The Lodge sits across the drive from the main house and an outside staircase leads up to the ancillary accommodation above the double garage. At the back of the house there is a wide stone terrace which meets the lawn. In addition there is a separate garden room which could easily be converted into a home office, gym or hobby room, and a long garage with a separate workshop and green house. There is also a pretty courtyard with garden store rooms and an original smokehouse. From the easterly side of the gardens there is access across the neighbouring paddocks to the meadows and footpaths in Sulham Woods.